As our fiscal year draws to a close, it is crucial to stay informed about the updates in the vacation rental business that were decreed this year. It is common for authorities to provide some tolerance period for the new requirements. In this case, the State Tax Administration Service (SAT), has taken action regarding these regulations; therefore, we want to emphasize the importance of regularizing all procedures for vacation rentals to operate properly in 2024.
In alignment with these considerations, vacation rentals operating in Quintana Roo must obtain a state operating license. According to regulations from the Tax Authority in Mexico, all hosts must possess an operating license to continue their operations and fulfill tax obligations. The aim is to ensure that those providing vacation or short-term rentals, whether individuals or legal entities, fulfill their obligation to pay the Lodging Tax, set at 6% as of 2023.
To obtain your Business Operating License, it is necessary to complete the process in person at SEFIPLAN offices. Schedule your appointment by accessing the website http://www.satq.qroo.gob.mx/enlinea/citas/. You must create an account to access the portal. Once the appointment is generated, you will need to appear on the specified date and time with the following documents:
- Multiple Format of Procedures.
- Notification of Registration before the SAT. This can be done on the SAT website and may be completed by an accountant, but it is only valid for 30 days. Failure to complete the procedure within this timeframe may result in fines and surcharges.
- Current Tax Status Certificate.
- Cadastral Code, which can be found on Predial payment receipts or the cadastral certificate of your property.
- Electronic registration number of the property (Public registry of the property Ballot).
- Articles of Incorporation of the company.
- Title Deed of the Property and Ballot of registry.
- INE of the legal representative (original and copy).
For scheduling appointments, you can visit: http://www.satq.qroo.gob.mx
It’s important to note that state tax authorities can access your property information on digital platforms such as Airbnb, VRBO, Booking, and even Facebook. They may visit your property and request the presentation of proper licenses, registrations, and tax payments. Failure to provide this information may result in the shutdown of your business, accompanied by fines and surcharges imposed on you or your company.
This is why we advise you to take this into consideration for the success of your investment. Therefore, if your property is managed by a property management company, you could ask them to confirm that they have followed up on this matter.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact our accounting team. We can assist and advise you in the process of obtaining the operating license, bearing in mind that it needs to be renewed annually.